Should You Get a Havanese Dog?
Check out these pointers to living with a charming dog breed that has a strong character.
Zoila Portuondo Guerra |
May 23, 2012
Having a Havanese dog is a highly gratifying and healthy experience. Science has proven that interaction with dogs, like the Havanese, has beneficial effects on our physical and mental health. For this reason, the Havanese is one of the dog breeds used in therapy work. Owners of Havanese bring their dogs to nursing homes and rehab facilities to visit the sick and aged. The Havanese brightens the spirit of thousands of people around the world. If you are interested in the Havanese dog breed or have a Havanese, check out this advice:
1. The Havanese dog breed was bred to live in a home and not outdoors or in a kennel. Keep your Havanese as a family pet inside the home.
2. The Havanese requires plenty of exercise because of his vitality and restlessness.
3. This dog breed also loves to be carried and caressed. Since these dogs respond with appropriately endearing and picturesque gestures, many people can’t resist their bewitching ways and wind up turning their Havanese into dolls that can’t walk on a leash, much less enjoy a good run in the park. Don’t let yourself be drawn in by their cajolery—for your own good and the dog’s. When you spoil your Havanese or overly stimulate his relatively strong character, you are lessening this dog’s delightful personality.
4. Pet your Havanese, but not so constantly that he becomes clingy.
5. Let your Havanese relate to other dogs and other people. Unless you have aggressive dogs or a big dog breed that can become a real threat to your Havanese, don’t overprotect him from the others. Your Havanese can take care of himself. If you become the protector, various problems can arise. Your Havanese will become timid, unable to get along with other dogs. This is especially important in a male Havanese. When they are over-socialized with people and don’t know how to relate to other dogs, they can’t adequately express their virile tendencies.
Excerpt from Havanese, part of the Comprehensive Owner’s Guide series, with permission from its publisher, Kennel Club Books, a division of BowTie Inc. Purchase Havanese here.
Give us your opinion on Should You Get a Havanese Dog?
Login to get points for commenting or write your comment below
Get New Captcha