AKC’s 1916 Stud Book Rules
Discover the 1916 conditions under which dogs can be registered in the American Kennel Club Stud Book.
Dog World Eds. |
June 19, 2012
From the Archives of Dog World: Enjoy this all-access pass to dog history from the pages of the longest published dog magazine. This content remains in its original form and reflects the language and views of its time. Health and behavior information evolves and only the most current advice should be followed.
American bred dogs are only eligible by virtue of the previous registration of both sire and dam in the American Kennel Club Stud Book.
- Foreign bred dogs are eligible if their pedigrees can be established for three full generations of both sire and dam.
- Any imported dog registered in the English Stud Book must retain its English Registered name, followed by (Eng.) when applying for registration in the American Kennel Club Stud Book.
- The breeder of a dog is the person either owning or leasing the bitch at the time of service.
- No change in the registered name of a dog will be permitted after December 31st of the year of registration.
- In changing ownership, the original Stud Book number will be retained, and if re-registered the dog will be entered in a subsequent volume of the Stud Book the same as an original registration.
- No Kennel Name will be recognized in connection with the ownership or breeding of a dog unless such Kennel Name has been previously registered with the American Kennel Club.
- In applying for change of name, or of ownership, the original registry receipt properly endorsed must be returned.
- The following are the required fees for services:
- (a) Registration, $1.00
- (b) Changing ownership (re-registration), $1.00.
- (c) Changing name of dog, $0.50.
- (d) Kennel names, Annual, $5.00, wih a yearly maintenance fee, $1.00. Life, $15.00, without further charge.
Excerpted from Dog World magazine, May 1916, Vol. 1, No. 5. For back issues of Dog World, click here.
Give us your opinion on AKC’s 1916 Stud Book Rules
Login to get points for commenting or write your comment below
Get New Captcha