Vitamin K Reverses Rat Poison’s Effect on Dogs

Second bleeding episode points to dog’s another rat poison exposure.

By

Q. I live in Mexico, and had a problem a year ago with my 7-year-old Labrador Retriever. He ate rat poison and lost a lot of blood from his nose. My doctor gave him five vitamin K treatments. My dog recovered, but now is bleeding from the nose again.

A. Most rat poison causes bleeding two to four days after it is eaten by dogs. If not treated, most dogs who eat this type of rat poison will bleed out and die. Fortunately, there is an effective treatment, vitamin K, which reverses the poison’s effect. In some cases, the dog may require a transfusion of plasma to get the clotting factors needed to stop the bleeding until the vitamin K can start working. It sounds like your dog was successfully treated with vitamin K injections a year ago.
 
If your dog is bleeding again, I would be worried that he has gotten into rat poison again. Dogs love the taste of it, and will go to any length to find it. We have had some dogs that have moved refrigerators to get the rat poison underneath.

Try to get him into the vet to get vitamin K treatment started. Vitamin K is also effective as an oral capsule available from most pharmacies.


JOIN CLUB DOG NOW

4 of 35 Comments View All 35 Comments

Give us your opinion Give us your opinion on Vitamin K Reverses Rat Poison’s Effect on Dogs

User Avatar

gamal   cairo, International

8/7/2013 3:22:12 PM

My 9 year old boxer who can describe as "a prodigy dog" suddenly started throwing up and stopped eating. We live in Egypt and I can say he had a pretty posh life, then he was barely moving. we thought it was a ate something that upset his stomach. so we started treating accordingly, then less than 24 hrs later he started leaking dark liquid from his anus, which we later learnt was blood. we then learnt the blood test results an found out that he is dealing with severe liver failure. we put him on fluids throw IV, yet he was not moving and peeing liquid that is as dark as pepsi. 48 hrs later I lost my best friend in my arms die a horrible death. This truly broke my heart and still i am in shock as this happened last night. I am assuming this is rat poison as the annal bleeding was because of the hemridge that it caused. I have another dog and like it was described previously he is dear to my heart but not like my best pall that I just lost and i need to know what happened for my heart to rest. thank you for taking the time to read my post and may no dog owner experience what i did last night. God bless

User Avatar

sinead   Belfast, New Hampshire

9/10/2012 10:19:56 AM

Scott
'The proper dose of Vit K1 (Phytonadione) is 2.5mg/kg 2 times a day for 5 - 30

days.


other forms of Vit K are noneffective as anticoagulant
antidotes'

Is this what it means on the pack of poison on the information for doctors area? My puppy ate or at least chewed a pack when we moved to a new house having no idea it was there. it said to administer andtidotal vitamin 1 (must mean k1) and at the end said vitamin k something or other was ineffective. as the vet gave her vitamin k i have been really worried - is this what it meant? that k1 is the only effective one?

User Avatar

melina - 258267   

8/3/2012 9:22:30 PM

my husband raced to the pharmacy to buy the vitamin k. My puppy is a 1 month old pitbull and i dont think he weighs more than 10 pounds he is still so small hes burly growing teeth we gave him the hydrogen peroxide and hes only thrown up once what shall i do someone please help me i dont want him to die i had to care for him and bottle feed cuz his momma didnt want to i hope were doing everything right

User Avatar

AL   DETROIT, MI

4/5/2012 6:43:33 PM

OK reading makes me feel so much better that my Beagle will be fine, earlier today she of a hold of a bait trap and ate some pellets along with chewing the plastic container. I'm a poor retired person with little funds so a vet is outta of the question. I injected 2 teaspoons of peroxide which induced mega vomit. Went to pet supply store picked up fish tank carbon charcoal then headed over to CVS for vitamin K1, was told only by prescription that was needed from vet WTF. I go home called a vet to see if I could buy and was told only if came and had dog checked out for $ 200 WTF. Now I find that GNC sells them in a bottle of a hundred for $ 3.99 and even better my local Rite-ade is a GNC store too. So with a mortar and pedestal I crushed the charcoal 42 grams and injected in mouth. I crushed the 100 mg vitamin K and place in small amount of food and will repeat twice per day for the next 3 weeks. Oh how I love this site.

Login to get points for commenting or write your comment below

 
First Name : Email :
International :
City : State :

Captcha Image


Get New Captcha


Top Products

ADS BY GOOGLE