When Dogs Eat Rat Poison

Vomiting, followed by vitamin K is best treatment for dogs who eat rat poison.

By

Q. My two puppies may have eaten a tiny bit of rat poison. I made them vomit and crushed vitamin K pills to a powder to give them. How much should I give a 3-pound and a 28-pound pup?

A. Eating rat poison is potentially life-threatening, especially for very small dogs. The rat poison interferes with the production of blood clotting factors, and three to five days afterward, dogs will start to bleed into different body cavities. Without intensive care including a plasma transfusion, it is often fatal.

Of course, it is too late to help your puppies if they haven’t already recovered, but this may help others with the same problem.

To treat a dog who has eaten rat poison, a veterinarian will:
1. Induce vomiting within two hours (ideally at a veterinary hospital, but you can do it at home with several teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide).
2. Start treatment with vitamin K, 5 mg per kg of body weight, twice a day for three weeks or longer.
3. If later than two hours, but less than 12 hours, give activated charcoal to help prevent absorption of the rat poison.
4. If more than two days after ingestion, check clotting times and give a plasma transfusion which contains clotting factors in addition to starting on vitamin K.
5. In some critical cases, intravenous fluids and other supportive care including blood transfusions may be required.

If your puppies have been getting adequate doses of vitamin K, likely no further treatment will be required. Keep in mind vitamin K can also be prescribed through a human pharmacy, since the treatment for rat poison ingestion in people is the same. (Children have been known to ingest it). It is available in 5 mg and 25 mg capsules.


JOIN CLUB DOG NOW

4 of 95 Comments View All 95 Comments

Give us your opinion Give us your opinion on When Dogs Eat Rat Poison

User Avatar

Sophia   Kansas City, Missouri

1/14/2015 9:03:22 PM

Rebecca,


I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I'm no vet, but I recently took my dog to the vet due to accidental rat poisoning and have been doing a lot of research. Short answer : yes. D-con uses the chemical Brodifacoam which is highly lethal. So I'm not a vet, but my dog nearly died of a similar poisoning (Warfarin) which is not as strong as Brodifacoam. Usually, it takes 3-5 days for it to take complete effect, but if your dog ate a lot, and Brodifacoam is one of the strongest rat poisons out there, I think it's
likely.

Here is the link to the post I wrote about my dog's experience with rat poison:
http://www.asiangirlmeetsworld. com/butler/butler-dogs-near-death-experience/

Hoping that it helps somebody-- it took so long for us to find out the cause of our dog's ongoing illness (bleeding gums that wouldn't stop bleeding)- he nearly bled to death in the process.

User Avatar

Rebecca   Las Vegas, Nevada

12/31/2014 10:38:09 AM

Can a box of dcon kill a 60 pound dog in less than 48 hours? No blood in vomit or stool that I found. Became lethargic stopped eating and would go potty my husband heard her crunching on something I our sons garage Saturday afternoon while helping them move into their new house obviously left by former owner. By Monday morning at 7 am she was gone.

User Avatar

AmuseableDonkey   Exeter, California

11/11/2014 12:36:27 PM

Two of my dogs did last year. I gave them milk of magnesia and the second day, apple cider vinegar. They pulled through like champs. One was a small bed, one was a medium breed puppy. Today, our new puppy found some in an orchard. I've started MOM, she has vomited and convulsions have slowed. We have new neighbors that didn't consider the fact anybody around them have pets and children. I'm so upset right now.

User Avatar

Sam   BROOKLYN, New York

10/17/2014 4:46:35 PM

I don't have the resources to get my pup to the vet so Thank you so very much for the helpful information. Within a minute of giving my dog the peroxide, she puked up all of the poison (and the bag it was in) to the point where her vomit went from bright green to white phlegm. I hope she learns from this! Thanks again.

Login to get points for commenting or write your comment below

 
First Name : Email :
International :
City : State :

Captcha Image


Get New Captcha


Top Products

ADS BY GOOGLE