California Canine Cancer Walk Raises $80,000
More than 600 dog lovers turned out in Los Gatos to raise money for canine cancer research.
Posted: October 19, 2010, 2 a.m. EDT
The 1st Annual K9 Cancer Walk in Los Gatos, Calif., on Oct. 10 raised more than $80,000 for Morris Animal Foundation’s Canine Cancer Campaign. The campaign funds research aimed at preventing, treating and, ultimately, curing cancer in dogs.
Participants in Morris Animal Foundation’s 1st Annual K9 Cancer Walk in Los Gatos raised more than $80,000 for canine cancer research.
“Morris Animal Foundation couldn’t be happier with the support we received for the 1st Annual K9 Cancer Walk in Los Gatos,” said Tish Czachor, canine cancer events manager. “We actually doubled our original fundraising goal.
“The foundation recognizes the need to help our best friends live longer, healthier, cancer-free lives, and to share that mission with Northern California dog lovers was amazing. With the support we received, we are on step closer to finding a cure.”
More than 600 dog enthusiasts in more than 50 teams showed up for the walk. Teams were encouraged to show their team spirit by participating in the Top Dogs Contest.
The winners were:
- Top Team: Golden Retrievers to the Rescue raised almost $7,000.
- Most Team Members: VCA Animal Hospitals of Los Gatos had 56 registered participants.
- Top Fundraiser (individual): Mary Rieger of Society Dog’s Team Trevor raised more than $1,800.
- Top Fundraiser Honorable Mention (individual): Joanne Mcgrail of Golden Retrievers to the Rescue raised more than $1,600.
- Most Spirit: Society Dog’s Team Trevor showed up themed “Clowning Around for a Cure.”
- Most Spirit Honorable Mention: Angelfish Silicon Valley
Donations are still being accepted online (www.K9CancerWalk.org) until Sunday, Oct. 25.
This year’s sponsors and media partners included Eukanuba, VCA Animal Hospital, Animal Scan Advanced Veterinary Image, Canidae Natural Pet Food Co., Diva Dogs, Veterinary Medical Specialists and Veterinary Surgical Associates, among others.
Upcoming walks are scheduled for Dec. 5 in Coconut Creek, Fla., and April 30, 2011, in Elk Grove, Calif.
For details, visit www.K9CancerWalk.org
Give us your opinion on California Canine Cancer Walk Raises $80,000
Login to get points for commenting or write your comment below
Get New Captcha