Salmonella Concerns Prompt Pig Ear Recall
Three brands of dog treats distributed mainly in Northeast and Midwest.
Posted: March 9, 2011, 4:30 pm EST
Jones Natural Chews Co. of Rockford, Ill., is recalling 2,705 boxes of its pig ears, mainly in the Northeast and Midwest, because the dog chews may be contaminated with salmonella.
The recalled pig ears, sold under the names Jones Natural Chews, Blain’s Farm & Fleet and Country Butcher Dog Chews, were shipped between Sept. 15, 2010, and Nov. 2, 2010, to retailers and distributors in the following states: Connecticut, Iowa, Illinois, Massachusetts, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Washington.
The recall is in response to a routine sampling by Washington state’s Department of Agriculture, which detected salmonella in finished products, Jones Natural Chews Co. reported.
No illnesses have been reported.
Pets with salmonella infections may become lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever and vomiting. Some pets may only experience a decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans. Pet owners are urged to contact their veterinarian immediately if their pet consumed any of the affected products or is experiencing any of the above symptoms, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
People handling dry pet food and/or pet treats can become infected with salmonella, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with the product or any surfaces exposed to these products, according to the FDA.
Healthy people infected with salmonella may experience some or all of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever. Although rare, salmonella can result in more serious ailments including arterial infections, endocarditis (inflammation of the lining of the heart), arthritis, muscle pain, eye irritation, and urinary tract symptoms. Consumers exhibiting these signs after having contact with the recalled chews should contact their health care provider.
The following is a list of the recalled products:
• Jones Natural Chews Pig Ears 2-pack bag with header card, UPC 741956001047, Lot 2420
• Jones Natural Chews Pig Ears bulk 100-count box, UPC 741956001139, Lots 2490, 2560, 2630, 2700, 2840, 2910, 2980
• Jones Natural Chews Pig Ears bulk 50-count box, UPC 741956001504, Lots 2490, 2840
• Jones Natural Chews Pig Ears bulk 25-count box, UPC 741956001467, Lot 2700
• Jones Natural Chews Pig Ears 1-pack shrink-wrapped, UPC 741956001146, Lots 2700, 2840, 2420
• Jones Natural Chews Pig Ears 10-pack printed bag, UPC 741956001405, Lots 2420, 2560, 2630, 2840
• Blain’s Farm & Fleet Pig Ears 10 pieces bag, UPC 741956001405, Lot 2560
• Country Butcher Dog Chews Pig Ears 1-pack shrink-wrapped, UPC 741956001511, Lot 2630
• Country Butcher Dog Chews Pig Ears 1-pack shrink-wrapped, UPC 741956001146, Lots 2420
• Country Butcher Dog Chews Pig Ears 12-pack bag, UPC 741956001245, Lot 2910
Consumers who have purchased any of these products are urged to return the chews for a full refund. Those with questions should call Jones Natural Chews Co. at 1-877-481-2663.
Give us your opinion on Salmonella Concerns Prompt Pig Ear Recall
Login to get points for commenting or write your comment below
Get New Captcha