ASPCA Creates Disaster Fund
The ASPCA establishes a disaster fund will assist animal welfare organizations in cases of extreme weather emergencies.
Posted: June 10, 2011, 3 a.m. EDT
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals recently announced the establishment of the ASPCA Disaster Fund and is accepting disaster grant applications from qualified shelters and other animal welfare organizations in states affected by or responding to recent severe weather incidents.
"After our Field Investigations and Response team witnessed firsthand the incredible devastation - especially in the Midwest and Southeast - we wanted to offer additional aid in the form of the ASPCA Disaster Fund," said ASPCA President & CEO Ed Sayres.
The ASPCA Disaster Fund will include cash assistance for the following purposes:
- Food and food banks for at-risk animals
- Shelter supplies and equipment
- Rescue supplies and equipment
- Sheltering or temporary boarding and fostering of rescued or at-risk animals
- Transport/transfers/relocation of animals
- Veterinary expenses/medical care for animals
- Overtime expenses for shelter staff;
- Travel and related incidental expenses for shelter staff or staff deployed to affected disaster areas to assist with disaster response for animals; and
- Infrastructure repairs/rebuilding.
To be considered applicants to the ASPCA Disaster Fund will need to meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Non-profit organization or government agency, such as municipal or county animal control, with an animal welfare mission and a federal tax ID (EIN/Employer Identification Number)
- Qualified shelter and/or other animal welfare organization in states affected by or responding to recent severe weather incidents, plus organizations outside those states providing outreach and assistance
- Directly affected by or providing/participating in direct response to the spring 2011 natural disasters
- In need of immediate assistance
For more information on the Fund and the ASPCA, click here.
See how Rachael Ray is getting involved!
Give us your opinion on ASPCA Creates Disaster Fund
Login to get points for commenting or write your comment below
Get New Captcha