Public Voting Opens for Veterinary Hero Awards
American Humane Association honors the professionals who look after the medical needs of animals.
Ken Niedziela |
Posted: June 17, 2014, 3 p.m. PST
A veterinarian and a veterinary technician will be thrust into the national spotlight this fall when the American Humane Association honors heroic dogs and the professionals who look after the medical needs of animals.
The public has until July 21 to vote at HeroVetAwards.org for a Hero Vet and a Hero Vet Tech. Hundreds of nominees were pared to five finalists in each category.
The two winners will be named Sept. 27 at the Hero Dog Awards, which will be broadcast later on the Hallmark Channel.
Dogs and their extraordinary exploits have been recognized since 2011, but this is the first year that veterinary staff will be celebrated.
"All 10 finalists do heroic work every day to benefit the welfare and well-being of animals and promote the human-animal bond,” said Robin Ganzert, Ph.D., the American Humane Association’s president and CEO. "To us, all vets and vet techs are heroes, and it will be an honor to share the stage at the Hero Dog Awards with our winning Hero Vet and Hero Vet Tech.”
Veterinary drug maker Zoetis Inc. of Florham Park, N.J., and the Seattle-based pet health insurance company Trupanion are co-sponsoring the competition.
"These awards are our way of raising awareness of how veterinarians and veterinary technicians work together as a team to provide the best care to pets and support the families that love them,” said J. Michael McFarland, DVM, group director of CAD Veterinary Operations at Zoetis.
The finalists are:
HERO VETERINARY TECHNICIAN
- Dr. Paul Bingham of Arrowhead Veterinary Hospital in Fruita, Colo.
- Dr. Eva Decozio-Bush of Panacea Animal Wellness Sanctuary in Higley, Ariz.
- Dr. Lesli Groshong, chief of shelter medicine at the Humane Society of Boulder Valley in Boulder, Colo.
- Dr. Richard Teague of Farmers Veterinary Hospital in Richmond, Va.
- Dr. Christa Williams of Caravan Vet in Minneapolis
To read the full profiles of each candidate and to vote, go to HeroVetAwards.org
- Abayomi Clark of San Antonio
- Signe Corbin of Austin, Texas
- Mary Fee of Bean Station, Tenn.
- Genesis Rendon of Los Angeles
- Erin Searfoss of Denver
More Dog News
Give us your opinion on Public Voting Opens for Veterinary Hero Awards
Login to get points for commenting or write your comment below
Get New Captcha