Television Star, Rachael Ray, Looks Out for Pets in Need
Rachael Ray and ASPCA host $100K Challenge for shelters nationwide.
Drew Alemania |
Posted: June 9, 2014, 6 a.m. PST
Rachael Ray is a name familiar to most people, whether it’s through her shows on CBS or the Food Network, her magazine, her cookbooks or most importantly, her love of animals. Owner of dog, Isaboo, and creator of pet food brand, Nutrish, Rachael Ray has been a long-time advocate for animals and a supporter of animal welfare groups.
From June to August this summer, 50 animal shelters from across the country will compete in the ASPCA Rachael Ray $100K Challenge made possible through money donated from sales of Nutrish foods. The 50 contestants will work as a whole to try to better the total number of animals they saved last year, which was 56,000.
$100,000 will be given to the shelter that achieves the greatest increase in lives saved during the three month period. An additional $600,000 will be dispersed through various grants and prizes. $25,000 will go to the contestant that does the best job of engaging community members in helping to save more animals, prizes will go to the winners of a contest-wide photo competition and grants will be given to the shelter that has the best increase of general participation within its community. There will also be awards between $10,000 and $25,000 for the best in the divisions created within the competition.
"All my life, I’ve been an advocate for animals and a supporter of animal welfare groups,” says Rachael Ray. "My love for animals and for my Pit Bull, Isaboo, inspired me to create a pet food called Nutrish to raise money for animals in need. I donate 100 percent of the proceeds from the sale of Nutrish to organizations like the ASPCA so they can implement programs like the $100K Challenge and support shelters around the country.”
The 50 Shelters Competing are:
- Shelby Humane Society in Columbiana, Ala.
- Pinal County Animal Care in Casa Grande, Ariz.
- Arizona Humane Society in Phoenix, Ariz.
- HALO Animal Rescue in Phoenix, Ariz.
- Pima Animal Care Center in Tucson, Ariz.
- Burbank Animal Shelter in Burbank, Calif.
- Ventura County Animal Services in Camarillo, Calif.
- City of Chico Animal Shelter in Chico, Calif.
- Central California SPCA in Fresno, Calif.
- Moreno Valley Animal Shelter in Moreno Valley, Calif.
- City of Stockton Animal Services in Stockton, Calif.
- Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region in Colorado Springs, Colo.
- Foothills Animal Shelter in Golden, Colo.
- First State Animal Center - SPCA, Delaware in Camden, Del.
- Alachua County Animal Services in Gainesville, Fla.
- Clay County Animal Care and Control in Green Cove Springs, Fla.
- Osceola County Animal Services in St. Cloud, Fla.
- Gwinnett County Animal Welfare & Enforcement in Lawrenceville, Ga.
- Thomasville-Thomas County Humane Society, Inc. in Thomasville, Ga.
- The Anti-Cruelty Society in Chicago, Ill.
- Humane Society Calumet Area in Munster, Ind.
- Unleashed Pet Rescue and Adoption in Mission, Kan.
- Coastal Humane Society in Brunswick, Maine
- Baltimore Animal Rescue and Care Shelter (BARCS) in Baltimore, Md.
- The Humane Society of Washington County, Inc. in Hagerstown, Md.
- Humane Society of Charles County in Waldorf, Md.
- Oakland County Animal Control & Pet Adoption Center in Auburn Hills, Mich.
- Southern Pines Animal Shelter in Hattiesburg, Miss.
- Kansas City Pet Project in Kansas City, Mo.
- Animal Welfare Association in Voorhees, N.J.
- Humane Society of Greater Dayton in Dayton, Ohio
- Humane Society of Delaware County in Delaware, Ohio
- The City of Oklahoma City Animal Welfare Division in Oklahoma City, Okla.
- Greenhill Humane Society in Eugene, Ore.
- Anderson County P.A.W.S. in Anderson, S.C.
- Pet Helpers in Charleston, S.C.
- Spartanburg Humane Society in Spartanburg, S.C.
- McMinn Regional Humane Society in Athens, Tenn.
- Williamson County Animal Control and Adoption Center in Franklin, Tenn.
- Humane Society of Memphis & Shelby County in Memphis, Tenn.
- Williamson County Regional Animal Shelter in Georgetown, Texas
- Houston Humane Society in Houston, Texas
- City of Pasadena (TX) Animal Control and Adoption in Pasadena, Texas
- San Antonio Animal Care Services in San Antonio, Texas
- Lynchburg Humane Society in Lynchburg, Va.
- Angels of Assisi in Roanoke, Va.
- Everett Animal Shelter in Everett, Wash.
- SpokAnimal C.A.R.E. in Spokane, Wash.
- The NOAH Center in Stanwood, Wash.
- Fox Valley Humane Association in Appleton, Wis.
By teaming up with the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, Rachael Ray has created a blockbuster event for pet adoption.
"If you’re at all considering making a pet a part of your family, then this contest is the perfect time to do just that,” says Bert Troughton, vice president of Community Outreach at the ASPCA.
The challenge ends August 31.
For information about the 2014 ASPCA Rachael Ray $100K Challenge, visit ASPCA.org/100K.
More Dog Rescue News
Give us your opinion on Television Star, Rachael Ray, Looks Out for Pets in Need
Login to get points for commenting or write your comment below
Get New Captcha