Be Kind to Dogs This Week
American Humane Association invites pet lovers to celebrate Be Kind to Animals Week through May 10.
Posted: May 5, 2008, 5 a.m. EST
Since 1915, the American Humane Association has designated a week each year to highlight the relationships owners share with their pets and encourage people to show kindness and compassion to all types of animals. This year, Be Kind to Animals Week takes place May 4 to 10.
The week-long celebration will culminate with the announcement of the winner of the Be Kind to Animals Kid Contest, in which children will be recognized for their efforts to make the world a better place for animals. Winners will be posted on the American Humane website this week.
American Humane invites the public to be kind to dogs and other animals this week, too, and shares these ways to show compassion:
- Report animal abuse. Violence against dogs and other animals may also indicate other violent behavior, such as domestic abuse.
- Speak out for animals. Learn about local animal welfare polices and pending legislation that involves animals.
- Show kindness at home. Children look to adults for examples of behavior, so treat animals kindly at home.
- Adopt a pet from a shelter or rescue. Save a cat or dog from euthanasia by giving it a good home.
- Have your pets spayed or neutered. This surgery can help prevent animal overpopulation.
- Donate your time or money to a local animal shelter.
For more information about Be Kind to Animals Week, visit the American Humane website.
Give us your opinion on Be Kind to Dogs This Week
Login to get points for commenting or write your comment below
Get New Captcha