Animal Groups Reach Out For Aid During the Holidays
Spreading the holiday spirit to dogs in need.
Their need is great all year round, but during the holidays animal shelters, rescue organizations and other benevolent groups for animals reach out for special help and donations to help them in their work.
Its important, all year round, that these animals feel loved and supported, says Linda Kender, manager at Safe Harbor Animal Sanctuary and Hospital, a no-kill shelter in Jupiter, Fla. Holiday drives give the public a chance to really make a difference in the lives of some very special pets.
Groups and shelters nationwide put on special events during the holidays to boost donations and to encourage pet adoptions. Schools, such as South Elgin High School in Illinois, which accepted pet supplies for the Anderson Animal Shelter, also help out.
Here is a listing of the kinds of campaigns going on this season to aid a few of hundreds shelters and organizations seeking help.
- The Animal Aid Society of Hampton, Va. has a pet Christmas tree set up and is asking supporters to buy an ornament for $5 in honor of a current or former pet. The money will go to the shelter.
- The Houston, Texas SPCA and Neiman Marcus are sponsoring a cat and dog adoption event Dec. 23 at Neiman Marcus, Galleria, in Houston. Animals up for adoption will be displayed in the upscale retailers first-floor windows, which will be decorated in Cats and Dr. Doolittle themes.
- Marin Humane Society in Novato, Calif. is asking supporters to donate pet food, toys and other supplies to be packed into gift baskets and given to disadvantaged dogs and cats for the holidays.
- The Washington Animal Rescue League of Wash., D.C. is seeking gently used blankets and towels for use at the leagues shelter. Pet food donations are also being sought. For more information, visit The Washington Animal Rescue League website.
- Heaven Can Wait of Akron, Ohio is selling ornament cards to raise money and is seeking donations of leashes, collars, dog and cat toys, carriers and new cat litter to help in its work of saving animals about to be euthanized.
- Shear Paradise Pet Salon and Spa and Tres Bone Bakery and Boutique in Mundelein, Ill., are accepting donations of dry and canned pet food and supplies to benefit local pet organizations.
- The IndyFeral cat food bank in Indianapolis has teamed up with Pet Supplies Plus in accepting donations of cat food to feed feral felines in the city this cold and often snowy holiday season.
Posted: Dec. 15, 2005, 5a.m. EST
Give us your opinion on Animal Groups Reach Out For Aid During the Holidays
Login to get points for commenting or write your comment below
Get New Captcha