Animal Cruelty Prevention Tips for Dogs
In recognition of animal cruelty prevention month, the ASPCA outlines tips for preventing dog abuse.
April is animal cruelty prevention month and in recognition of it, the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals has issued tips on how to identify and prevent dog cruelty. Among the tips:
- Be aware. By being aware, people are more likely to notice, for example, that a neighbor dog has lost a substantial amount of weight, a possible indicator of abuse.
- Learn to recognize animal cruelty. Signs include wounds on the dogs body, dogs that are fearful and pets that are repeatedly left alone without food and water.
- Know whom to call to report animal cruelty where you live. Every state and town has different procedures.
- Provide as much as information as possible when reporting cruelty to a dog. It helps to write down the type of cruelty that you witnessed, who was involved, the date of the incident and where it took place.
- Set a good example for others. If you have dogs, show them the love and good care they deserve.
- Talk to your kids about how to treat dogs and other animals with kindness and respect. One of the most power tools for preventing cruelty is education.
- Support local shelters or animal rescue organization with donations of money, food or supplies.
For more information, visit American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals website.
Posted: April 5, 2006, 5 a.m. EST
Give us your opinion on Animal Cruelty Prevention Tips for Dogs
Login to get points for commenting or write your comment below
Get New Captcha