Expanding Glues Prove Dangerous for Dogs

The accidental ingestion of a common household glue by one dog prompts a warning.

Posted: October 6, 2007, 5 a.m. EST

Printer Friendly

Courtesy of Massachusetts
Veterinary Referral Hospital

A 7-month-old female Labrador Retriever named Sydney prompted one veterinary hospital to issue a reminder to pet owners of dangers that may lurk within their homes.

Sydney began vomiting and was taken to her veterinarian where X-rays showed a large amount of foreign material in her stomach. She had ingested Gorilla Glue – a common household, heavy-duty polyurethane glue. It’s also a glue that has an odor and taste that appeals to dogs, according to the Massachusetts Veterinary Hospital.

Once the glue comes in contact with moisture, it expands to several times its original volume. Therefore when it enters a dog’s stomach, it can cause intestinal blockage, hospital officials said. And although removal of the hardened glue typically requires surgery, the recovery prognosis is good, they added.

Sydney has returned home where she is recovering from her ordeal, the hospital reported.

Gorilla Glue manufacturer warnings state the product must be kept out of reach of children and animals and that it’s harmful or fatal if swallowed.

The danger is not limited to Gorilla Glue, but includes all polyurethane glues. Any expanding adhesive product should be considered a potential hazard and kept where pets can’t get to it, according to the ASPCA Poison Control Center.

Veterinary hospital officials report they receive several cases just like Sydney’s each year. If pet owners suspect their dogs have ingested any polyurethane glue, they should contact a veterinarian immediately.

Printer Friendly

JOIN CLUB DOG NOW

2 of 2 Comments View All 2 Comments

Give us your opinion Give us your opinion on Expanding Glues Prove Dangerous for Dogs

User Avatar

Megan   Sandusky, OH

1/15/2008 8:57:15 AM

My German Shepard mix, recently got a hold of gorilla glue, and tore the bottle apart in the living room. When my husband came home he said the bottle was over turned with the cap torn off, and it looked to be all the glue was on the floor, and she could not have gotten very much. Later that evening she started throwing up every 1/2 an hour on the dot. It continued for 24 hours, the vet told me not to give her any water, or food to make sure her system has nothing in it. She continued to throw up so we decided to take her to the emergency vet clinic. When we arrived they did emergency surgery and found the glue had expanded in the whole stomach. Today she is great and the recover time was not to bad!! Thank God for great vets.

User Avatar

Donna   Limington, ME

10/6/2007 11:42:25 AM

That is really something that everyone should be aware of!

Login to get points for commenting or write your comment below

 
First Name : Email :
International :
City : State :

Captcha Image


Get New Captcha


Top Products

ADS BY GOOGLE