Comments on When Dogs Eat Rat Poison

User Avatar

jason   bruni, TX

6/2/2011 11:28:02 AM

this is to louise, how much salt did u use? do u feed the salt then feed the water or do u make saltwater then feed? how long does it take to work? i am in the same situation im 2hr from the vet and my 100lb lab just ate a whole pack of rat poison, i have no peroxide and have tried half a bottle of mustard with no effect. i have given him 2 tablespoons of salt and a glass of water, is more recommended?

User Avatar

Louise   Normanton, PE

5/22/2011 6:35:52 PM

Yesterday my 2kg (4.5 lb) Pomeranian ate half a small box of Talon rat poison and he was completely fine but I knew he wouldn't be. We live about 5 hours from our closest vet so there was no hope he would live if we did nothing and rushed him to the vet. We straight away gave him salt n forced water into him which made him vomit all the poison back up. I called the vet this morning and told them what happened and they said he only has a small chance of being at anymore risk because we made him vomit it all up within 30 mins. They are sending me vitamin K for him to take for about 4 - 6 weeks. I would never use peroxide to make a dog vomit as much as I hear people say it all the time but salt and water does a much better job.

User Avatar

Teri   Berkeley, CA

5/4/2011 11:39:04 AM

I recently had the same situation with my 11 month old pitbull. I gave him lots of milk to drink before we went to the ER where I found out that there are two types of rat poison. one that causes the rat to bleed to death and one that causes neurological damage. My dog ate the one that causes bleeding which can be successfully treated if the animal is seen within short time frame after being eaten. They did induce vomiting and prescribed Vitamin K that they said I could not buy in the stores because it was a different kind of Vitamin K. At any rate, on the first day after the incident my puppy was very tired and just laid around all day. By the second day he was fine and acting like himself but I am still going to finish out his full three weeks of treatment.

User Avatar

Meghann   Hugo, MN

4/2/2011 7:26:21 PM

This happened to my brothers dog today so we gave him the hydrogen peroxide and then got him to the emergency vet. The ER vet was very unhappy that he had the hydrogen peroxide and said it can cause more damage and it should not be given. Sometimes dogs do not vomit from it and it sits in their stomach and causes more trouble. My suggestion is to call poison control or a vet before you give them anything. My brothers dog had his stomach pumped within 2-3 hours of eating the rat poison and should be fine. He was also given a lot of water which apparently helped.

User Avatar

Laura   Fresno, CA

3/26/2011 2:39:36 PM

Excellent!! Helped calm me down when my Boy ate some today; still went to emerg vet.

ADS BY GOOGLE

User Avatar

John   Black, SC

3/14/2011 5:39:25 AM

I have a three year old shitzu mix(approx. 10-12 lbs.) Looks like she found some rat poison over the weekend. It looks like she didn't eat much of it. How much does it take to saffect her?

User Avatar

Lori   Renton, WA

3/5/2011 9:02:30 AM

Thank you your article it was very helpful it answered all my questions I had and more.

User Avatar

rebecca   lacey, WA

2/13/2011 9:04:40 AM

thank you for this, it saved my dog. my dog ate rat poison on a Sunday and my vet was closed. i fallowed the directions and by the time i got a hold of my vet, she said i had done everything perfect and my dog should be fine. i will have a check up next week.

User Avatar

Dawn   Flint, MI

2/9/2011 4:15:53 PM

Thank you. Last week my careless husband called and told me he bought rat poison (Tom Cat) then left it in the car with my dogs while he ran another errand (they ate it obviously).


Your article was the first article i found on google. It was after 5 pm, the "big blizzard" had just begun and my vets office was closed. Having beagles, I've had to induce vomiting on them before but your website gave me the confidence that that was the right thing to do in this particular poisoning case.


As my husband pulled in, I had a syringe (with the needle removed) full of peroxide and ready to go.


I administered the peroxide and we headed out in the snowstorm to the emergency vet. The dogs threw up in the car on the way there and the vet induced vomiting again after we arrived at their office.


They weren't going to give them charcoal, but I insisted because of your article and we began them on vitamin K that night.


They visited our regular vet two days ago and they were impressed at how quickly we moved in the emergency and how well the dogs were doing. I insisted they perform blood work just to check and that came back normal as
well.

Today I found a bruise on my littlest beagles ear- but otherwise he seems fine. We'll continue to monitor him closely.


Whoever said that people shouldn't induce vomiting, my vet disagrees. They were emphatic that we did the right thing.


To those who are only inducing vomiting and not visiting their vet- that's not good enough. It only cost us $322 for 2 dogs at the emergency vet and that included vomit induction, activated charcoal and their vitamin k. Well worth it to save them from bleeding to death for our own carelessness.


Rat poison is a horrid product and my husband never should have purchased it. Humane traps people. Humane traps.

User Avatar

EAT ME   c, CO

2/5/2011 10:35:10 PM

i am so d! my puppy ate a box of mouse poision and now he's drinking a ton of water and dying. i am going to shoot the person who left the door open , and killed my PUPPY

ADS BY GOOGLE

User Avatar

aja   St. Petersburg, FL

1/25/2011 6:11:40 PM

I think you should get the dog to the vet immediately. They have the tools and experience to best deal with this kind of situation. Right now my little Bella is in the hospital fighting for her life. I am glad I took her to the vet because they think that she has gotten into rat poison. I hope she will be okay. Just get your dog to the vet. That is the one thing that may save your pet's life.

User Avatar

Dave   Toledo, OH

1/15/2011 7:13:18 AM

Do not induce vomiting,that is per label instructions. Get the animal to the vet with the label/ MSDS sheet if possible, as soon as possible.

User Avatar

Dawn   Durham, NC

1/3/2011 12:25:14 PM

I think that the information included in your article about treatment for dogs that ate rat poisoning was very good. It is important for pet owners to have this information on hand in case of emergency. Earlier this year I purchased the glue strips, and hid them up under furniture instead of purchasing rat poison I was afraid that one of my inquisitive dogs would find the poison.

User Avatar

Terrt   Southaven, MS

12/28/2010 4:10:48 PM

My dog ingested tomcat poison and I got him to the vet right away. They induced vomiting (bright green) and he is on vit. K for a week. I hope he will be okay. He is lethargic now from the morphine they shot into his eye. This has all happened in the last 2 hours.

User Avatar

justin   franklin, OH

11/27/2010 9:01:17 PM

I have a min pin and he will die because he eat rat poison and it suck's and think it is bull that who ever come up with rat poison should eat poison should eat it and die if you can halp me please call me

User Avatar

Carrie   Des Moines, IA

11/27/2010 2:42:32 PM

My dog got into Rat poison at the house next door. In the state I live in when a house is in foreclosure they put rat poison around the house to prevent animals getting in the house. The sad part about this they are not required to tell anyone. Took her to the vet and he said if she was brought in 12hours later she would've died. Iv drugs and a little Vit K. She's not 100% better but doing better then yesterday when I took her in.

User Avatar

Tina   Buckeye, AZ

11/25/2010 9:57:38 AM

I believe the dosing is incorrect on this article. It should be 5 micrograms (mcg) per kilogram of body weight not milligrams (mg). Vitamin K usually comes in 100 mcg or 500 mcg tablets.

User Avatar

Mel   Dallas, TX

11/7/2010 9:10:16 PM

Hi my dogs ate Tomcat rat poison, we induced vomiting with peroxide. They threw it all up. To the lady that said her dog ate Tomcat also, what were your results with your dog? Hope everything was ok.

User Avatar

Cheryl   Lincoln, IL

10/31/2010 11:16:12 AM

My dog died a few hours ago. I guess he got into the Deacon and we didn't figure it out until about 3 AM. I knew he was sick but wasn't seeing any blood or anything. Apparently, he bled into his brain and basically had a stroke. Even if they could have saved him, he already had brain damage. I had to have him put down. This is by far the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. The pain and sadness is overwhelming and I feel so responsible. Please, people...make sure your pets can't find the poison. I wish I could do it over again! I'd live with the mice if only I could have my little Bear back.... I love you baby dog!

User Avatar

don   atlanta, GA

10/19/2010 6:14:18 PM

i have a dog thats i havent a clue wats wrong with him he wont eat or drink and has been acting
funny.
i think it is rat poison because my neighbor has posioned man of my dogs not sure wat type of poison but i dont hve any vit k please give me other remedies without vet.

41-60 of 93 PAGE:  FIRST | PREVIOUS    1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5    NEXT | LAST

Top Products

ADS BY GOOGLE