Presidential Candidates’ Dogs, Cats, and More
Of the U.S. presidential candidates, Sen. John McCain has the most pets with 22 furry, feathered, and fishy friends.
Posted: May 19, 2007, 5 a.m. EST
If U.S. presidential candidates were elected based on how many pets they have, then Arizona Sen. John McCain would have the 2008 election in his pocket.
In a recent interview with the Associated Press, McCain said that he has 22 pets at home: two dogs, one cat, 13 saltwater fish, three parakeets, two turtles, and a ferret.
The AP queried the current crop of 2008 presidential candidates about how many pets live in their home and McCain had far more than any other candidate.
The second-highest tally was that of Kansas Sen. Sam Brownback, who, like McCain, is a Republican. Brownback said he has five pets in his home: two dogs, two cats, and a fish.
The complete list of presidential candidates’ pets includes:
- Delaware Sen. Joe Biden (Democrat): One cat.
- Kansas Sen. Sam Brownback (Republican): Two dogs, two cats and a fish.
- New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (Democrat): Seamus, a Labrador Retriever.
- Connecticut Sen. Chris Dodd (Democrat): None due to family’s allergies, but said he would like a dog.
- Former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards (Democrat): Two dogs: a Golden Retriever and Chocolate Labrador.
- Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani (Republican): None.
- Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (Republican): Jet, a 9-year-old black Labrador Retriever and Sonic, a one-and-a-half-year-old Shih Tzu.
- California Rep. Duncan Hunter (Republican): Two black Labrador Retrievers named Boo and Hunter.
- Ohio Rep. Dennis Kucinich (Democrat): Harry the Beagle-Basset, Lucie the Beagle, and George the Cocker Spaniel, all of whom were rescued from animal shelters.
- Arizona Sen. John McCain (Republican): Sam the English Springer Spaniel; Coco the mixed breed; turtles Cuff and Link; Oreo the black and white cat; a ferret; three parakeets, and 13 saltwater fish.
- Illinois Sen. Barack Obama (Democrat): None.
- New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson (Democrat): Two cats, Jake and Squeaky.
- Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney (Republican): Family recently lost Marley, a Weimaraner.
- Colorado Rep. Tom Tancredo (Republican): None.
Give us your opinion on Presidential Candidates’ Dogs, Cats, and More
Login to get points for commenting or write your comment below
Get New Captcha