Top 10 Dog-Friendly U.S. Hotspots
Dog-friendly resort regions and tourist areas welcome your dog as part of the family.
Posted: July 10, 2007, 5 a.m. EST
Summer fun should include your dog, so where can you go where your canine pal will be warmly welcomed? DogFriendly.com has ranked the top 10 dog-friendly resort regions in the United States. The rankings take into account the number and quality of dog-friendly accommodations, interesting things to do with your dog, beaches, parks, nearby attractions, and outdoor restaurants that allow dogs.
1. Portland, Maine – This dog-friendly town has it all, complete with walking tours, cruises, beaches, parks and islands to visit. A number of off-leash dog parks. Nearby Boothbay is also worth a visit.
2. Carmel/Monterey, Calif. – Dog-friendly Carmel City Beach, trails, shopping, outdoor restaurants and quaint lodging. Carmel and Monterey are easy areas to walk around.
3. Asheville/Blue Ridge, N.C. – Walk the Asheville Urban Trail. Visit the grounds of the Biltmore Estate or shop at Biltmore Village. Drive the Blue Ridge Parkway.
4. Key West, Fla. – Quaint B&Bs, lots of outdoor dining. Charter a boat or walk the charming village streets with your dog.
5. Charlottesville, Va. – Visit Monticello and Red Hill Estates grounds, dog-friendly wineries, shop at the historic downtown mall. Visit dog-friendly Shenandoah Park nearby.
6. Black Hills, S.D. – You can see Mt. Rushmore from the pet area. A number of other attractions, hiking trails and parks abound. If you have kids, visit the Flintstones Campground.
7. Lake Tahoe, Calif./Nev. – Visit the dog-friendly village and gondola at Squaw Valley. Rent a boat on the lake, swim at one of four beaches for dogs. Cross-country skiing in winter is a must.
8. Cape May. N.J. – Visit Historic Cold Spring Village. Whale watch or charter boats. Visit wineries, parks, beaches and take the ferry to Lewes, Del.
9. Grand Canyon, Ariz. – Dogs can walk along the rim and view the canyon with you. If you and your dog are up to hiking down the canyon, try the Havasupai Reservation.
10. Hocking Hills, Ohio – Dog-friendly accommodations and dog-friendly parks. Don't miss the caves and scenic hikes of Hocking Hills State Park. Rent a canoe or two.
For more dog-friendly travel destinations, click here.
Give us your opinion on Top 10 Dog-Friendly U.S. Hotspots
Login to get points for commenting or write your comment below
Get New Captcha