Dog Trick: Dog Limbo
How low can you go? Teach your dog to duck under a limbo stick or other objects.
September Morn |
Posted: November 19, 2014, 12 p.m. PST
Holding a luau? Want your dog to perform the ultimate party trick? Or maybe you want him to become the "Limbo King." Whatever your goals, you and your dog are sure to be a hit with this easy to learn trick.
What you need:
- Limbo stick (broom, dowel, agility jump, etc.)
- Soft surface: Teach this trick on a surface with good traction for your dog’s paws, such as carpeting, grass, or dirt.
1. Hold a broomstick or mop handle in one hand, parallel to the ground, high enough so your dog has room to walk under it. Show a treat to your dog with your other hand, and lure her to walk under the stick. When she does, give her the treat as a reward. Repeat this procedure several times.
2. Now lower the stick about an inch, and lure her under with a treat. The stick should be high enough so she can walk underneath it, but low enough to lightly brush her back. Repeat several times, rewarding her with praise and treats each time.
3. Lower the stick another inch. This time, your dog will need to duck a little to pass under.
4. Lower the stick gradually, an inch at a time, until your dog is crawling under instead of just ducking.
Each time you lower the stick, your dog will need to work a little harder to pass under it. Don’t make it too difficult too soon, or she may try to jump over the stick instead of ducking under it.
Most dogs can belly crawl without difficulty once they try it, but for some dogs, crawling is hard or painful. If your dog seems to become uncomfortable as the stick gets lower, she can still do the "Duck under” trick, but you’ll need to hold the stick high enough that she won’t need to crawl.
Limbo Dogs in Action
More Dog Tricks
Give us your opinion on Dog Trick: Dog Limbo
Login to get points for commenting or write your comment below
Get New Captcha