The Dog Travel Bag
What to pack in your dog's suitcase.
People and their pets are taking to the road in record numbers. No longer home alone while the family goes on vacation, the family dog now goes along for the ride. If your pup could pack her own suitcase, she'd probably fill it with treats and toys. But every doggie bag needs some key items that you won't want to leave home without. Pack smart this summer, and every trip will have a happy ending.
- Dog food
- Dog bed or sheet if your pet sleeps on the bed with you
- Portable food and water bowl
- Bottled water (Make frequent stops for your dog to relieve herself and drink fresh water.)
- Medication and supplements
- Towels (for those off-road experiences!)
- ID tags. Easily visible ID will help your lost dog get back to you. Ideally, your dog should wear two tags -- one with your home information, the other with your vacation contact. Consider using a toll-free pet protection service so you can update your information as you travel.
- Photos. Carry one in your wallet and another in your suitcase. If your dog gets lost, you will need to alert authorities with an accurate description. You may also want to make flyers.
- Health certificate. This document from your veterinarian proves that your dog is healthy.
- Dog crate. If your pet typically sleeps in a crate, taking it along will make her feel safe in unfamiliar settings.
- List of 24-hour animal clinics in the area you're visiting. You can find a listing of clinics by zip code at Pets911.
- List of parks along your route for easy, dog-friendly stops. Check out DogFriendly.com or Dogpark.com.
Give us your opinion on The Dog Travel Bag
Login to get points for commenting or write your comment below
Get New Captcha