Getting Media Coverage for Your Dog Show
The AKC releases tips that will help dog clubs get local TV coverage of upcoming dog shows.
Posted: October 20, 2014 12 p.m. PST
Local TV coverage of your club's dog show may increase attendance and help improve the community's view of purebred dogs. Photo by Gina Cioli/I-5 Studio.
Last week, the American Kennel Club released some tips that dog clubs can use to get media coverage of their local dog show. Television crews are eager to cover local stories, and they may be interested in covering a local dog show. This is a win-win situation, as publicizing your dog show can help improve the local community's view of purebred dogs and conformation events, and may attract some extra visitors to your show.
To increase your chances of coverage, the AKC recommends that you:
- Offer to send a spokesperson to the studio to conduct an interview. Try pitching yourself or another club member specifically as a spokesperson.
- Explain how a dog show can be used to help potential dog owners decide on the right breed to fit their lifestyle.
- Offer to bring a rare breed (or several) with you – one that might not be familiar in the local community. Becuase you will want the media coverage to take place as close to the show as possible, you will likely have passed your entry deadline and will have a good idea of which rare breeds will be attending the show. Make sure you point out that these rare breeds will be present at the show you are promoting. Stations and TV hosts love having lesser-known breeds in the studio, especially puppies!
- Address an issue that may already be in the news and can be related to your club or dog show. Buyer beware, in which puppy buyers are urged to be careful when looking for a dog over the Internet, has been a popular topic in the news. You can offer to speak about how to find a reputable breeder.
- Address any pending canine legislation in the community that your club may support or oppose.
- Have an in-studio demonstration of agility, obedience, etc., if the activiy will be offered at your show.
- Tell them how your dog show stands out from other events that take place in your area – and make sure you follow through with your claims! The more creative you are with your pitching, the more likely you are to pique the interest of a TV station.
Give us your opinion on Getting Media Coverage for Your Dog Show
Login to get points for commenting or write your comment below
Get New Captcha