Vitamin K for Dog’s Bleeding Not Needed

After neutering surgery, dogs and puppies commonly bleed slightly.

By

Printer Friendly
Q. I recently had my 3-year-old Labrador Retriever mix neutered at the SPCA. He was bleeding, so I took him to our local emergency vet clinic. They gave him a vitamin K injection to try to clot and stop the bleeding. He was still bleeding the next morning, so I took him back to the SPCA. They said the stitches had come out, but some bleeding is common. Did the emergency clinic give my dog vitamin K for no reason? Should I try to get my money back?
 
A. The emergency clinic probably did not rip you off, but they did not practice the best medicine, either.
 
It is not unheard of for there to be some bleeding following a surgical procedure. Usually this is the result of loose sutures (stitches) or oozing from multiple small blood vessels that got cut. However, it could be due to a clotting problem if a dog happened to have ingested rat poison in the previous three to five days. This is the equivalent of a person having surgery who has been on blood thinners.
 
However, most emergency clinics have a simple blood test for clotting function. In the unlikely event that your dog did get into rat poison, the test would be abnormal and vitamin K would be part of the treatment plan.
 
To give a vitamin K injection without testing for a clotting problem first is considered sloppy medicine. Most likely the injection did not hurt anything, and it would not be considered malpractice or unethical. Sometimes the cost of the test can be as much as the injection, so either way you would have incurred some expense.
 
Fortunately, it sounds like your dog is doing OK, so I would not recommend fretting any further. If they have any kind of feedback form, you could let them know that they should have run a blood test to determine if vitamin K was needed before giving it.
Printer Friendly

JOIN CLUB DOG NOW

2 of 2 Comments View All 2 Comments

Give us your opinion Give us your opinion on Vitamin K for Dog’s Bleeding Not Needed

Get Adobe Flash player

Eileen - 249708   Port Perry, ON

4/19/2013 4:01:36 AM

I guess we all need to be informed consumers.

User Avatar

debbie   tortola, FL

10/27/2011 5:50:48 PM

How can you possibly consider someone"ripping you off" and asking for your "money back"!!!! Grow up and accept responsibility for you and your dog. Animals can't talk and the vet is doing his/her best to help your dog with any treatment they think necessary. Other owners and pets are less fortunate. As far as I know Vitamin K can only be beneficial and some of us owners and dogs dont have access to these meds. You are so lucky - your dog is still alive - so stop whining and take care of him!!

Login to get points for commenting or write your comment below

 
First Name : Email :
International :
City : State :

Captcha Image


Get New Captcha


Top Products

ADS BY GOOGLE