5 Dog Toxins You May Not Know About
Dogs are notorious for chewing things, so it’s important to know what is dangerous and what to look out for if your dog eats the wrong thing.
Posted: June 6, 2011, 3 a.m. EDT
Dr. Patty Lathan, of the Mississippi State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine shares a list of 5 things to be aware of.
Dogs aren't always aware of the dangerous things they put in their mouth - but you can be.
If your dog ingests any of these toxins, call a veterinarian or emergency clinic for advice immediately. For more information on medical conditions click here: Medical Conditions
- Ibuprofen – Ibuprofen and many other human pain relievers cause kidney failure and bleeding.
- Tylenol – Tylenol or acetaminophen can cause liver failure for dogs.
- Sago Palm – Ingestion of any part of the plant is toxic and can cause severe liver failure, but the seeds are the worst, and two or three seeds can be deadly to a medium-sized dog. Dogs show signs within 24 to 72 hours of ingestion, and vomiting is often the first symptom.
- Grapes and Raisins – Grapes and raisins are eaten by many dogs without causing illness, but some dogs will develop kidney failure within 72 hours.
- Xylitol – Xylitol is an artificial sweetener used in some foods and gums. If dogs ingest the sweetener or gum they may develop low blood sugar or liver failure.
Give us your opinion on 5 Dog Toxins You May Not Know About
Login to get points for commenting or write your comment below
Get New Captcha