Comments on Acorns and Dogs Don’t Mix

User Avatar

Maria   Scarsdale, New York

11/14/2013 3:45:24 AM

My dog is an 11 yr old Westie. He has eaten acorns and animal fecie throughout the years. Little bits here and there. Last number of days he has not pooped(4) days has become very dehydrated but still has an appetite. We have been to the vet had an ultrasound. Vet says he looks OK? I believe he has gradual acorn and animal fecie poisoning. He is drinking a lot of water, more than usual. He will need to get more fluids today. I feel desperate that I am loosing my very best companion. Any advice and I would be most grateful!! Many thanks! PS When in the past he ate these toxins acorns and fecie he would stop eating and drinking have diahrear with blood and his stomach would gurgle alot.

User Avatar

Teresa   HSV, Arkansas

10/14/2013 2:31:20 PM

We have three CKC dogs all different sizes, and they have been eating acorns this fall for the first time. I can usually command them to "NO CHEW" and they drop them but they've broken by then or at least one eats it completely. I have not noticed any symptoms of upset or sickness. I hope this is not a habit that can not be broken.

User Avatar

Stacey   Ocala, Florida

3/22/2013 8:51:38 PM

http://www.capitalgazette. com/news/local/ask_a_vet/ask-a-vet-dogs-acorns-and- -danger/article_7773c366-48f0-51cd-9200-26e17a4e66- cb.html

User Avatar

Stacey   Ocala, Florida

3/22/2013 8:33:27 PM

My dog and several others, all med to large dogs, have been eating acorns off the ground for months. Nothing has happened to any of them. I've never heard they were toxic before.

User Avatar

David   Sarasota, Florida

12/24/2012 9:36:46 AM

My dog eats acorns daily.how do I stop him. 21 week old Aussie

ADS BY GOOGLE

User Avatar

carol   prosser, Washington

12/16/2012 12:39:38 AM

We were very lucky tonight. Our Jack R$ussell somehow got an acorn and I pried his jaws open wondering what does he have in his mouth. When I got it out of his moth we were like OMG where did he get this acorn? We have no acorn trees here. He did not break it and so no poison was gonna happen, thank GOD!

User Avatar

Elizabeth   York, Pennsylvania

10/26/2012 9:09:41 AM

I lost my german shepherd/lab mix a few days ago to acorn poisoning. I had no idea they could be toxic to dogs in any way. Please heed the importance of this article and know that it does happen. I didn't just lose a dog, I lost my best friend. She chewed on the sticks that fell from the oak tree as well as drank fresh water which on occasion would get the oak leaves in it. She went into renal failure before we even knew anything was wrong. Two vets concurred the toxic insult to her kidneys was due to her ingestion of acorns.

User Avatar

kyle   KZN, Texas

10/8/2012 9:07:07 AM

Two of my dogs just died a few days ago supposedly from eating acorns, so rather let your dogs stay clear from that stuff

User Avatar

Zoso9   Mississauga, ON

7/26/2012 8:55:02 AM

My 9 month old puppy (Cavalier King Charles Spaniel) just ate about 3 oak leaves and possibly part of a branch as well but no acorns. Should I be worried? All of the articles say poisoning is fatal but I've been reading comments from people with small dogs where the leaves have had no effect. Thoughts? I'm freaking out a little!

User Avatar

Renee   Canton, GA

2/4/2012 10:57:31 AM

my neighbors and minor visitors have thrown Acorns over my privacy fence- I have Maltese's and Chihua's- I pick up *doo-doos* daily and noticed the Acorns, a couple of month ago they were throwing cigarette butts over- both of these contain TANNIC, very toxic to dogs and potentially fatal- SHAME on you Crestmont Way n/bor- there is a law on the books, Cherokee County sub sec 10 - 32 (a) *ANIMAL CRUELTY* - ever lived in a 6X6 room before? I can get you there if you don't stop this attack on me and my dogs, it's also considered littering ones private property and may come under criminal trespass- better use your empty head before doing it again- security measures have been put in place and I/we will catch you! NO JOKE

ADS BY GOOGLE

User Avatar

Betty   Ohatchee, AL

12/5/2011 11:54:07 AM

I raise Yorke's and Maltese, they have ate a ton of acorns this year but, I haven't saw any
symptoms.
they love them, seem to like the green ones best.

User Avatar

Christopher Koch   Burnsville, NC

11/28/2011 5:08:50 PM

Sure hope you have been eating too many acorns, and have lost your mind. My Beagle has eaten hundreds of the nuts for years and has never been ill. I will however ask my vet. It will be a real bummer if the dog can not eat them. There are 6 great old trees in his 1/2 acre yard.

User Avatar

Torina   Dawsonville, GA

11/14/2011 8:44:05 AM

My dogs eat acorns too! I'm glad I have read this article...now I have to figure out how to stop them.

User Avatar

Kelly   Alpharetta, GA

11/4/2011 2:17:55 PM

My 15lb schnoodle eats acorns constantly when she is outside. She probably eats 20 a day and I have a ton of trouble stopping her. She seems to only like the smaller rotten ones. Is she going to get sick?

User Avatar

Tina   Acworth, GA

10/21/2011 6:35:06 AM

I have 2 Golden retrievers, 5 months old that will not stop eating acorns. I have a backyard full of oak trees.What to do?

User Avatar

Jane   Cincinnati, OH

10/18/2011 8:39:42 PM

I had no idea either that acorns could be problematic for dogs. However, we just lost our sweet dog, Seymour, to acorns this week. a 13-pound chihauhau/terrier mix, he displayed every symptom I've read about in the past 48 hours. I had him to the vet within half an hour of his first showing symptoms, and the vet kept him going another day and a half. But, I believe permanent damage was done before I got him to the vet. Keep your dogs away from acorns.

User Avatar

Maureen   Goldie, MA

7/29/2011 4:44:59 PM

My 3 English Mastiff puppy's ate acorns and
became
Terrible I'll from them! They were throwing up all there food and had

Terrible diarrhea! It cost me 600 dollars for 3 iv
packs
To flush it out of there system! Acorns are like poison to puppy's and dogs!

User Avatar

Ernest   Miami Shores, FL

1/15/2011 3:15:30 PM

Our American Bulldog started salivating uncontrollably about an hour after eating acorns and oak branch twigs. Symptoms lasted about 6 hours. Luckily nothing worse happened.

User Avatar

Mark   Las Vegas, NV

1/14/2011 1:08:49 PM

My beautiful 2 year old Chihuahua Lacey passed away yesterday after eating an Acorn. On 1/12/11 she was a picture of health. On 1/13/11 she passed away. Even after we had rushed her to the vet and surgery was performed there was no saving her. We are just totally devastated. We had no idea about this issue with the acorns. We had two trees in our yard which we chopped down yesterday.

User Avatar

Dolores Lawson   Ocala, FL

1/14/2011 3:04:51 AM

I agree with acorns being toxic to your dog. I have a miniature schnauzer and she got an acorn caught in her smaller intestine a few years back as she would swallow them. I have no trees in my yard whatsoever however, they dig the acorns from where the squirrels hide them. Now both the schnauzer and my yorkie are chewing the acorns I have tried putting tabasco sauce on one to discourage them touching them.

1-20 of 46 PAGE:  1 | 2 | 3    NEXT | LAST

Top Products

ADS BY GOOGLE