Give Dog a Few Weeks to Pass Sock

Dogs can often eat small pieces of fabric without serious harm.

By

Q. My Jack Russell Terrier ate a sock. He eats stuff all the time and either throws it up or passes it. We try to be vigilant and keep things out of his reach, but this one got by us. It has been a week and still no sock. He appears to be fine and doesn’t seem to be having any problems. Should I have my vet X-ray him? My dad wants to dose him with mineral oil.

A. OK, so your Jack Russell ate a sock. No need to panic – yet.
 
If you had come into our emergency clinic right away, we would have injected some apomorphine and gotten him to vomit it up. Now that the sock is meandering through your dog’s digestive system, I recommend a strategy of wait and watch closely. Some dogs can eat a sock or a piece of cloth, and it may live happily in their stomach for months. When they start vomiting and going off food, it’s time to investigate with some X-rays. Unfortunately, X-rays often don’t show soft objects like clothing, so it may require surgical exploration to find it.
 
Many dogs eat socks, plastic toys, batteries, remote controls, bottle caps, and towels, and the items pass through their intestines, only to appear as a deposit on the lawn.
 
Monitor your dog carefully for the next few weeks, especially his stool. If he starts vomiting, appears lethargic, or otherwise seems off, have some X-rays taken. If he somehow produces the sock in the stool, celebrate the passage and savings of several thousand dollars of surgery costs.


JOIN CLUB DOG NOW

4 of 10 Comments View All 10 Comments

Give us your opinion Give us your opinion on Give Dog a Few Weeks to Pass Sock

User Avatar

Lindsay   St Louis, Michigan

2/8/2014 3:46:21 PM

My 3 mo. old lab eats our kids socks all the time. He has always vommited them up within a week or two. My concern is, will this affect his digestion? A sock in the belly for a couple weeks can't be a good thing...

User Avatar

Tanner922   San Carlos, CA

2/5/2014 12:34:49 PM

My one year old lab ate part of a hand towel. After a week he pooped out 31 inches worth! a couple of weeks later, he ate approx 1/3 of his bed covering made of fleece!! We have not seen any signs of it and it is going on three almost 4 weeks. He has lost some weight due to vomiting issues. His poops are a little smaller than what he normally does. X-rays have been taken and no evidance of any intestinal blockage. We changed from kibble to canned and that seems to have helped with vomiting. He saw the vet yesterday and is now on a band diet. Next step is barium. After that , who knows.

Get Adobe Flash player

Eileen - 249708   Port Perry, ON

10/7/2013 4:55:02 AM

My sister Golden Retrieve eats everything and he passes everything without problems. Thank goodness.

User Avatar

pitin   bakersfield, CA

7/5/2013 1:36:16 PM

My 10 weeks German shepherd eats a pice of fabric, like cotton, what can I do??

Login to get points for commenting or write your comment below

 
First Name : Email :
International :
City : State :

Captcha Image


Get New Captcha


Top Products

ADS BY GOOGLE