Have Dog, Will Travel

Sixty-one percent of respondents in new survey say they have vacationed with their pets.

Posted: July 29, 2008, 5 a.m. EDT

The rising cost of fuel has resulted in a change of vacation plans for some pet owners, according to a new survey on traveling with pets.

More than 1,600 travelers participated in the poll, which was conducted by online community TripAdvisor. Among pet owners, 61 percent said they have traveled with a pet and 17 percent said the top reason they travel with their animals is because they enjoy spending vacation time with them. Sixty-five percent of respondents own a cat or dog.

Highlights of the survey include:

Animals in flight
Pets aboard planes are sometimes “annoying,” according to 47 percent of respondents, who cited concerns about allergies and loud pets.

Whisker withdrawal
To limit the time away from their pets, 32 percent of people take shorter vacations and 21 percent take fewer trips.

Pets and petrol
Travelers may be less likely to see Sparky on the road, as 20 percent of pet owners said they are less likely to travel with their pets this summer because of high gas prices.

“For many people, a pet is a member of the family and leaving them home is not an option,” said Michele Perry, vice president of global communications for TripAdvisor. “As it’s clear there is a demand for pet-friendly accommodations, look for more and more hotels to add pet amenities.”


JOIN CLUB DOG NOW

4 of 10 Comments View All 10 Comments

Give us your opinion Give us your opinion on Have Dog, Will Travel

User Avatar

a   a, HI

7/29/2008 11:26:54 PM

17 percent say that they travel with their pets because they want to spend time with them. What on earth do the other 83 percent take their pets for?

User Avatar

Karen   Standish, ME

7/29/2008 5:53:25 PM

I often take my dog with me on trips and mini vacations to pet friendly places!

User Avatar

Jenny   Gettysburg, PA

7/29/2008 12:27:14 PM

I love to travel with my dog! I'm glad to hear about the hotels adding more pet amenities

User Avatar

Jeri   Coraopolis, PA

7/29/2008 10:20:48 AM

We started taking our 2 dogs on our beach vacations - we just look for dog friendly beaches and have been very successul in finding beautiful clean beaches! They have been on 4 beach vacations with us. We have a border collie/golden retriever mix and an austrialian shephard and they both love to swim and body surf the waves! I could never leave them behind again!

Login to get points for commenting or write your comment below

 
First Name : Email :
International :
City : State :

Captcha Image


Get New Captcha


Top Products

ADS BY GOOGLE