Comments on When Dogs Eat Rat Poison

User Avatar

Erik   bacolod, AL

3/21/2012 7:45:14 AM

this is a very helpful and informative article, thanks for the info!

User Avatar

Linda   Cashmere, WA

3/5/2012 11:51:46 AM

Very informative. I have a dog who has eaten a rodenticide out in an orchard 3 times! We never see her ingest it & by the time symptoms showed up...off to the vet at $400 a visit, not to mention the close call. We're trying to find a way to keep her from eating it, apparently it tastes good to animals, when she accidently gets loose.

User Avatar

Maritza   Lubbock, TX

2/28/2012 7:59:33 PM

I am so thankful I found this article. My 2 and a half month dachshund beagle mix ate a dcon box and no funds for vet...gave him 3 tsp of peroxide and he threw up the pieces he ate.... he seems to be fine now...fingers crossed

User Avatar

Bill   Tampa, FL

2/15/2012 2:59:53 PM

Gave my dog (about 13-15 lbs) proxide, bout a cap full, in the parking lot at the drug store and he vomited with in a min....I read somewhere else about a tblespoon for every 10lbs, for future referance, incase u have a larger dog who doesn't vomit after only a lil bit...

User Avatar

Kate   calhoun, GA

1/13/2012 12:17:32 PM

I thought my dog might have gotten some rat poison, I found this site and gave her peroxide just in case, she threw up everything in her stomach! (Even her carrots from the night before) I also did this within fifteen minutes of us being in the same room as the poison, possibly saved her life! Thank you so much! If you even suspect your dog to have eaten poison do this immediately!

ADS BY GOOGLE

User Avatar

david   Marysville, CA

12/31/2011 12:13:38 PM

FOLLOWUP POSTING 12/2/11: Dogs have done nicely 29 days later. Dogs saw a sypathetic vet who supported my request for K1. Vet was a substitute for regular vet. Am disgusted with the 10 money hungry VETERNARIANS who demanded at least $200 per animal eventhough these three dogs were found abondoned. University of California at Davis Veternarian School Emergency Department demanded the most before a visit. My alma Mater: SHAME ON YOU. You get the most heartless Vet of the Year Award.

User Avatar

gie   columbus, OH

12/27/2011 5:22:34 PM

i discover my dog eat a d-con i tried to make him throw up so i give him 3 tbsp og hydrogen peroxide but he still didnt throw up its been 15 min since i give him the hydrogen peroxide,any other suggestion he is about 90 pound dog.i appreciate a good advice right now.

User Avatar

andrew   terre haute, IN

12/4/2011 1:37:21 PM

thank you who ever wrote this stuff cause after my dog ate the rat poisening i gave him proxide and he threw it all up. you saved my best friends life,thank you.

User Avatar

duane   Los Angeles, CA

12/2/2011 8:57:44 AM

This morning my wife notice our new 5 month old 30lb puppy eating a package of rat poison she got when she got out of the back yard. After getting rid of the left over poison I went directly to the internet and discovered this site. I used hydrogen peroxide and it worked like a charm; and because I administered it less than thirty minutes afterwards, she threw up large sums of the poison before it could be digested! I am now on my way to the vet to let the pros make here better. Thank God for my wife's eyes, and thank you very much.

User Avatar

david   marysville, CA

12/2/2011 12:24:13 AM

Thank you! Dogs have a chance because of your Public Service emergency treatment advice. Will supplement with Vet visit backup but nice to be able to initiate treatment ASAP.

ADS BY GOOGLE

User Avatar

Keleyah   Philadelphia, PA

11/24/2011 6:31:02 AM

My Dog just ate Dcon and its thanksgiving and the vet is closed. please help me. he is a small dog only 5-7 pounds, a Yorkshire, i dont know how much he ate.

User Avatar

ivana   visalia, CA

11/16/2011 9:38:15 AM

My 9wk old ate quite a bit of dcon and i gave her 2tsp hydr perox...it worked she vomited alot then i took her to vet he gave her charcol & vit k...i hope she gets way better she showed no signs of sickness good thing my dayghter caught her eating it or it wldve been devastating....by the way she's a minpin 5lbs

User Avatar

Angie   Nixa, MO

10/30/2011 1:58:36 PM

This happened to our 2 pound Pom puppy this morning. Thank goodness for the internet and for Emergency Vets!! We were told to give her 2 teaspoons of Hydrogen Peroxide immediately, and shake her gently to induce vomiting. She vomited EVERYTHING up within a couple of minutes. We gave her a second dose fifteen later and took her to the vet. The vet gave her charcoal (absorbs the poison) an antidote injection, and also 25 mg of vitamin K to help her blood to clot. She is doing very good now. We have to take her for a follow up within 4 days for blood work to see if she is clotting properly. We have to continue her vitamin K for three weeks. Thank You for this information!! It saved Miah's life!

User Avatar

brittany   rome, GA

9/17/2011 5:40:50 PM

were can you get vitamin k

User Avatar

Carrie   Mukwonago, WI

8/24/2011 12:50:12 PM

Our 30lb 4 month old Chocolate Lab became lethargic and wouldn't eat Monday, took him to the Vet. Next day he was worse was referred to ER Vet ran test found internal bleeding, low white blood count, liver had high counts. Thinks it might be rat poison. He's getting plasma transfusions and Vitamin K....still waiting to hear how he is. We have no idea where or how he found it.

User Avatar

Pam   Pasadena, CA

7/18/2011 6:02:11 PM

Just learned my 85 lb. Golden Retriever died from ingesting rat poison from some unknown source. How can this poison be legal that is meant to kill a tiny 1 lb rodent but can kill such a big dog? We use rat traps with peanut butter to kill our rats. Why is rat poison permitted to be used?

User Avatar

amber   visalia, CA

7/6/2011 11:29:52 AM

hey r u sure this will work.

User Avatar

jason   bruni, TX

6/2/2011 11:28:02 AM

this is to louise, how much salt did u use? do u feed the salt then feed the water or do u make saltwater then feed? how long does it take to work? i am in the same situation im 2hr from the vet and my 100lb lab just ate a whole pack of rat poison, i have no peroxide and have tried half a bottle of mustard with no effect. i have given him 2 tablespoons of salt and a glass of water, is more recommended?

User Avatar

Louise   Normanton, PE

5/22/2011 6:35:52 PM

Yesterday my 2kg (4.5 lb) Pomeranian ate half a small box of Talon rat poison and he was completely fine but I knew he wouldn't be. We live about 5 hours from our closest vet so there was no hope he would live if we did nothing and rushed him to the vet. We straight away gave him salt n forced water into him which made him vomit all the poison back up. I called the vet this morning and told them what happened and they said he only has a small chance of being at anymore risk because we made him vomit it all up within 30 mins. They are sending me vitamin K for him to take for about 4 - 6 weeks. I would never use peroxide to make a dog vomit as much as I hear people say it all the time but salt and water does a much better job.

User Avatar

Teri   Berkeley, CA

5/4/2011 11:39:04 AM

I recently had the same situation with my 11 month old pitbull. I gave him lots of milk to drink before we went to the ER where I found out that there are two types of rat poison. one that causes the rat to bleed to death and one that causes neurological damage. My dog ate the one that causes bleeding which can be successfully treated if the animal is seen within short time frame after being eaten. They did induce vomiting and prescribed Vitamin K that they said I could not buy in the stores because it was a different kind of Vitamin K. At any rate, on the first day after the incident my puppy was very tired and just laid around all day. By the second day he was fine and acting like himself but I am still going to finish out his full three weeks of treatment.

21-40 of 90 PAGE:  FIRST | PREVIOUS    1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5    NEXT | LAST

Top Products

ADS BY GOOGLE