Comments on When Dogs Eat Rat Poison

User Avatar

Lisa   Elgin, TX

6/5/2010 7:22:01 PM

That's fine to keep the poison away from the pets. The problem is, the pets can still be poisoned by eating the dead poisoned rodents. My poor pup is in the hospital as we speak, I had to learn these things the hard way. She nearly bled to death in a matter of a few hours, while under care.

User Avatar

Mary   Clear Lake, MN

5/10/2010 7:16:20 PM

We need to put rat/mouse poison around in our garage so my husband cut 2"PVC pipe into long tubes. Then placed the poison in the middle of it and set it into hard to reach areas. That keeps pets from being able to get the poison.

User Avatar

bob   KONA, HI

5/9/2010 4:12:05 PM

Great advice, i found this web site quickly after I saw him eating some poison. Probably saved my puppy's life. Got him to vomit.

Now gave him a little charcoal to absorb what may be left.

User Avatar

Karen   Irving, TX

5/4/2010 4:01:38 PM

I think my dog ate rat poison!!!!!!!!!! Because I went into my room and on my rag on the floor was something blue so I thought it was rat poison but also I thought it was plant food. But my dog is looking fine but also it has been 30 minutes or 1 hour I think my dog ate plant food because it does not look sick.

User Avatar

kelly   mpls, MN

3/27/2010 9:00:37 PM

PLEASE READ
THIS.
Although many of the comments here are correct, no one has mentioned the dangers associated with giving your dog (or any pet) hydrogen peroxide at home. It is very VERY easy for a dog to aspirate the liquid, that is, for some of the peroxide to go down the trachea into the lungs. This is especially true if your animal is struggling. The pneumonia caused by aspiration can be fatal and untreatable. The best solution is to bring the animal to a licensed vet ASAP, or at least get animal poison control to walk you through the process of inducing vomiting.

ADS BY GOOGLE

User Avatar

Dana   Charlotte, NC

3/24/2010 2:50:37 PM

This may have saved my puppies lives. My two pups,ages 10 wks and 5 months old ate partially ate a block of rat poison. I didn't know what to do and quickly googled for help and found this article. I gave them both two tsp. of hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting and it worked almost instantaneously. Turns out that more of the poison was ingested by my older pup upon inspected their vomit.I rushed them to the vet as soon as they were settled down from throwing up, and the vet gave them both a vitamin K shot, and gave them pills to take for the next couple weeks. Only time will tell if they will be ok, but so far it looks like most of it was thrown up, and I think they will be alright. The poison had been out before we got the pups (to kill a mouse) and we had forgotten that it was even there. Please take heed and be careful when you have pups or children running around that these dangerous chemicals are out of their reach. I would have been devastated to lose my furbabies. I pray that they will be ok.

User Avatar

Carol   Perth, WA

1/28/2010 7:15:16 AM

Im not sure on my Vets procedure. I found a rat poison sachet chewed in my back yard. I have two Akitas. I rang the vet and they made an appt for me 3 hours later. I went there and they put morphine in there eyes to make them vomit, one not only vomited but was like a dead weight for some time after, the other had no vomiting or drowsyness. Then I was told to go home and come back in 2 days for blood tests. I was also advised that after this medication of Vitamin K for a month is necessary for both dogs all costing well over $1000. I am worried that if this is a serious poison like the website says then why arent the dogs treated with Vitamin K straight away.

User Avatar

Vickie   valparaiso, IN

1/22/2010 8:17:30 PM

My Cockapoo ate smoke rat poison and i read this artical and then I rushed her to Vet's and so far so good given vitamin K.

User Avatar

Leisa   Minneapolis, MN

1/3/2010 5:26:12 PM

I'm so thankful I found this website -- it was the first one that came up on Google.


This evening, My 16 month old, l7 lb Cocker Spaniel ate a small amount of D-Con. I used a funnel, placed it inside her mouth (which was a struggle), and poured a small amount of hydrogen peroxide down her throat (I too, cried while doing this). She vomited twice within 5-10 mins. I went to Walgreens pharmacy to buy Vitamin K pills, but they said I would need a Rx.


I ended up taking her to the Emerg. Vet. They gave her an injection of Vitamin K and sent us home w/ a 7 day supply of Vitamin K pills. My total bill was $148.97. They expect her to make a full recovery. They said the key to saving her life, was by inducing vomitting ASAP.


The sooner you take action, the better. So please don't wait -- get your dog to vomit at home and take them to the Vet right away.

User Avatar

Cindy   Houston, TX

11/4/2009 7:29:20 AM

Please check your type of rat poison. Last night I rushed my puppy to the vet after he ate part of a bag of rat poison that contains Bromethalin. This is a very dangerous chemical and there is no antidote. We are keeping a close eye on our puppy. Hopefully there will be no long term damage such as brain edema. Vomiting was induced within 30 minutes of ingestion and we are following with three days of activated charcoal.

ADS BY GOOGLE

User Avatar

Tina   Cottage Grove, WI

10/8/2009 9:22:20 PM

My dog at 2 chunks of rat poison. I called my vet and she suggested inducing vomiting with peroxide. It didn't work, so I had to take him to an emergency vet. Peroxide had worked before for something else he ate, I was puzzled why. Becuase it was more than 1 hr., I was told that any other emetic wouldn't work. He gave him a big shot of vitamin K and he has to take 10 vitamin K pills/day for 3 wks. In 5 days he has to have lab work to check his clotting factors. My dog weighs 98 lbs.

User Avatar

Adoile   Houston, TX

9/10/2009 8:56:42 PM

My dog ate a hole block of poisoning and the vomit thing really worked now I have 2 get vitamin K

User Avatar

Wanda Johnson   wandasdesk@yahoo.com, AR

9/6/2009 7:03:01 PM

This is a great web site. The poison control center was not as much help as you were. We are not out of the woods yet with my dog, but your information is fantastic.

User Avatar

Mary Suen   Milpitas, CA

9/5/2009 5:06:19 PM

I am sooooooo thankfull for this web sight! My 8 month old pup ate a hole box of rat poison that was in my neighbors garage. I didn't know what to do!!! I am on unemployment, living check to check so I really couldn't aford to take her to a vet... I got on the internet and did as this web sight said to do. I pored peroxide down her throght and she threw up "green" several times. Gave her a little more and then she threw up just peroxide and stomic acid. It might be to soon to tell but I think she is going to be ok... THANK YOU!!!!!

User Avatar

Charisse   Fresno, CA

8/29/2009 3:47:46 PM

My puppy ingested rat poison and I did not know what to do. I called the vet and they were going to charge me $200.00 to induce vomiting. I googled the information and found this site. I was so greatful. I used hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting and my puppy is ok. I cried the entire time because I felt so
helpless.

Thanks

User Avatar

Katie   New York, NY

6/29/2009 3:49:06 PM

The first step is to call the vet ASAP no matter what time of day/night. DO NOT WAIT until the morning!! Time is very crucial!! Your pets life is at stake!

User Avatar

Cindy   Bear, DE

11/27/2008 7:37:17 PM

It's Thanksgiving Day and around 5pm EST, I found my dog chewing on an empty wedge box of D-Con Mouse poison. We were at a family memebers house and they were so apologetic and advised me to call the animal poison control center. NO ONE ANSWERED, so I called the regular poison control number and the lady was very helpful. She did tell me that effects shouldn't start showing for 2 days, but advised me to take the dog to the vet tomorrow, which I so plan to do. My dog is 1 years old aprx. 40lbs (Lab/Collie mix). The thing is we aren't sure if she even ate any, my uncle (the house owner) said he is almost certain the box was empty, they had set them out last week and is pretty sure they were empty but failed to pick up the box. I haven't induced vomiting, as I'm not certain I trust everything I read, so the vet opens at 9am, and I plan on being there. I'm sure very restless tonight as this dog is like a family memeber and I'm a normal concerned parent.

User Avatar

IV   Los Angeles, CA

11/3/2008 10:00:39 AM

Yesterday my brother Inlaws puppy eat rat poison. The pup started slabbering had not movement, legs were twitching. I was sadden about this 2 hours later passed & I decided to crush at Vitamin Centrum performance pill. The dogs mouth was tightly close so I opened it, put the Centrum pill in with some pedialyte. I check up on the pup 1 hour later & she had her movement back even playing with her toy, eat, drinking water etc... Centrum pill contains Vitamin K.

User Avatar

Vicki DuBois   Shreveport, LA

10/2/2008 9:57:52 AM

This is a very helpful article. I was told years ago to give my dog's 2 tsp of table salt. Pour it in their throat. It will induce vomiting also. I'm more likely to have salt around than peroxide.

User Avatar

Christina   Patchogue, NY

9/30/2008 7:09:29 PM

The hydrogen peroxide works. I was told to give my 2 55 pound dogs 1 1/2 peices of bread & my 110 pound dog 2 1/2 pieces of bread first. Then I put peanut butter in a bowl n surrounded it by hydrogem peroxide & they drank it up. I was told to run around the yard with my dogs & in 15 minutes they were puking. I still have to go to the vet to have them tested for the poison, because treatment can be expensive. So they suggest testing, then treatment. Get your dogs to throw up asap. It's gross, but it works.

61-80 of 90 PAGE:  FIRST | PREVIOUS    1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5    NEXT | LAST

Top Products

ADS BY GOOGLE