Tips for Owners of Deaf Dogs
How to make life with a deaf dog a little easier.
Connie Bombaci offers this advice to make life with a deaf dog a little easier:
- Learn to communicate with them their way, with body language.
- Always let them know you are nearby.
- Approach them slowly from the front where they can see you.
- Always be gentle with touch and gesture.
- Use only praise, encouraging touch and positive reinforcement. Lots of it!
- Allow them to approach a newcomer first by smelling the person's palm. Never allow a stranger or anyone to rush in.
- Keep them on leashes and close to you when out on walks.
- Tether them to you in the house in order to help with initial adjustment, house training, bonding and helping them feel safe. Massage also helps establish closeness and trust.
- Provide secure outdoor fencing for their safety. Deaf dogs can't hear dangers.
- Work with them in an established and continual training program.
- Love and accept them with their special needs.